Friday, April 29, 2011

Beginning Again

This has been a difficult year for me as a teacher in a Chicago public school.  I've experienced so many new situations this year.  After teaching for over 15 years I assumed that I had seen it all.  But apparently, I am only beginning my journey.  It seems that the teaching profession is changing exponentially.  A couple of years out of the classroom has left me rusty, without patience and less tolerant than I've ever been.  I find myself praying, more fervently, more often.  Far too many days leave me flustered. 

I teach math to middle school students.  Challenging, but fun, and it can be very rewarding.  My homeroom students are a saving grace.  They are intelligent, funny, maturing young adults but not mannish.  I love them so much.  It brings a smile to my face to just think about them, the things they say, their emerging personalities and wit.  But it is a middle school, so I teach a few other classes as well.  Developing relationships with the other 90 students that I teach is difficult.  I haven't had the time and maybe I haven't put forth the effort needed and it shows. 

But now is my time to rejuvenate.  The year is not over yet and there is always next year, if I am so blessed to have a job teaching.  There is much I would love to change, love for God to change, within me.  I know there is a purpose behind the experiences I've had this year.  And as I prayed this morning the thought came to me.  I am turning into one of those teachers that I despised when I entered the profession.  The ones that are mean to kids.  The ones that don't give two hundred percent everyday and then come to work on Saturday too.  Teaching is more than hard work and we all know it.  My mom would say, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."  Well, I like it warm so I am staying in the kitchen.  I have faith that things will get better, the Lord has begun a good work in me and He will finish it.  I am willing and able and I can rejuvenate myself and my career.  And there may be others who feel the same way.  Maybe we can support each other, pray for each other, offer ideas and suggestions to keep this thing going.  The thought came to me this morning that maybe I could start a blog that would connect teachers who need to be rejuvenated, everyday.

I choose not to be one of those teachers.  I am staying on the right side of the fence.  I am going to teach everyday until I leave the classroom, and teach with everything I have.  I have learned however the importance of putting God first.  I recognize that my husband is my most important human relationship.  I know that the children I gave birth to are more important to me than the children in my classroom.  Though I love them all.  So maintaining balance will be a challenge.  But how many of you know that the Lord will multiply the hours in the day, just for you?  How many know that you can sleep for four hours and wake up with the Lord's energy to take on the day?  I am sure I can do this.  

Wanna come along for the ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment